Design and craftsmanship as a unity
Creating a symbiosis of design and craftsmanship – that was the purpose of the Wiener Werkstätte. When Koloman Moser (1868–1918) and Josef Hoffmann (1870–1956), with the financial support of the textile industrialist Fritz Waerndorfer (1868–1939), laid the foundations for this collective in 1903, they wanted nothing less than to renew the concept of art itself. Inspired by the British Arts and Crafts Movement, the WW’s repertoire included jewelry, clothes, items of furniture, ceramic works as well as postcards and playing cards. The aim was to offer artisan, non-industrial items instead of machine-made mass products. The WW worked closely with the Vienna Secession and with the Vienna School of Arts and Crafts whose students – for instance Oskar Kokoschka (1886–1980) and Rudolf Kalvach (1883–1932) – received commissions from the collective.
Ball Souvenir, Concordia Ball 1909 (cover designed by Josef Hoffmann, marbled paper designed by Koloman Moser)
Armchair from Gustav Klimt’s Studio in Josefstädter Straße 21, 8th district, Vienna. Manufacturer: Wiener Werkstätte
Bowl on behalf of the "Österreichischer Werkbund" or the Museum of Art and Industry for the "Kölner Werkbundausstellung" 1914
Leather Signboard from the Textile Department of the Wiener Werkstätte: “Stoffe der Wiener Werkstätte”
Laundry Chest for the Servant’s Room in the Berlin apartment of Jerome Stonborough and Margarete Stonborough-Wittgenstein