Gustav Klimt (1862–1918) had moved into his studio in Vienna’s 8th district together with his brother Ernst Klimt (1864–1892) and also stayed there after the latter’s early death. In 1911, Klimt had to clear out of the studio as the building was demolished, relocating to what would be his last place of work in Feldmühlgasse in the Hietzing district. Josef Hoffmann (1870–1956) planned for an interior-design totality for the premises of his close friend and ally. As Klimt resisted any massive intervention in his accustomed workplace environment, implementation remained limited to just a few pieces of furniture: a worktable plus armchair, a case for painting utensils, two armchairs with very high backs, a small table, a lighting element as well as this three-part wall closet. Dark color, clear internal structuring through borders, a balanced alternation of protruding and receding elements, and an unadorned style are the characteristics of this closet in which the artist kept parts of his art and curiosity collections.