First published in 1910 in Berlin and founded by Herwarth Walden (1878−1941) together with Alfred Döblin (1878−1957), the magazine Der Sturm
was the mouthpiece of the Expressionist avant-garde. It was originally published weekly, then bimonthly and eventually monthly from 1915 until its discontinuation in 1932. Among the contributors, who added considerably to the publication’s success, were Adolf Loos (1870–1933), Peter Altenberg (1859–1919), Paul Scheerbart (1863–1915) and Else Lasker-Schüler (1869–1945). Along with literary essays, the magazine also printed contributions by artists including Wassily Kandinsky (1866–1944), Oskar Kokoschka (1886–1980), August Macke (1887–1914), Franz Marc (1880–1916) and Gabriele Münter (1877–1962). Oskar Kokoschka (1886–1980), who was active for the magazine from 1910, created numerous illustrations. The front page of the issue dated 15th December 1910 features the work Flight from Paradise
. Kokoschka’s interest in the Christian pictorial tradition and iconography manifested itself especially in his early oeuvre: In the poster for his play Murderer, the Hope of Women
, for instance, he used the pictorial formula of the Pietà.