(Nieder-Rosenthal near Reichenberg/district of Liberec 1874–1960 Vienna)
Vereinigte Wiener und Gmundner Keramik
Currently on display at OG4
Together with Michael Powolny (1871–1954), the painter, graphic artist and designer Bertold Löffler (1874–1960) founded the ceramics workshop Wiener Keramik in 1905. The company closely collaborated with the Wiener Werkstätte, was taken over in 1913 by Gmundner Keramik, and successfully continued under the name Vereinigte Wiener und Gmundner Keramik. This flower pot was produced after the merger of the two manufactories. With its geometrical stylized repertoire of forms it is still indebted to Viennese Jugendstil. Löffler’s design features a cube that is open at the top. Its four square walls are decorated with singing birds, perching on tendrilous branches with blue flowers and pale green leaves against a gold-colored background.