Around 1900, particularly large hats were the dernier cri in ladies fashion. In order for these magnificent hats to be worn safely, hatpins came into use, as they needed fastening. The needle was put through the hat and the lady’s coiffed hair or wig. These four hatpins were made around 1905 in the leather workshop of the Wiener Werkstätte to a design by Koloman Moser (1868–1918). While the actual pins are metal, the pinheads are made of dyed leather with gold-embossed geometric and floral ornaments. In combination with the leather, these gold ornaments define the generally elegant and exquisite character of these fashion accessories, as the Wiener Werkstätte designers gave to even the smallest object the same attention they did to larger ones.